Wednesday, June 6, 2007

MyLot IS Addictive!

I've heard it said that myLot is addictive and I have to confess that it's true. I even have to say that I like it better the MySpace . I should add, though, that I'm not very good at getting around MySpace yet.

Interestingly enough, myLot was actually conceived as a sort of MySpace that shared it's advertising revenue with the people who contributed and so far it seems to be working. This model also makes a certain amount of moral sense too, after all if it weren't for the people posting to these websites they wouldn't be making any money so why not share?

The business model is nice but the most addictive thing about myLot for me, is that you can find like-minded people very easily by creating your own micro-communities based on shared interests. And since members get paid more for starting discussions there is no shortage of interesting topics to respond to, you can even post your opinions on the latest news if there isn't anything else that tickles your fancy.

Of course the next best thing and the most noticeable about myLot is that you get paid for nearly every action. It's not very much (typically between 1 to 3 cents) but there is a certain satisfaction in watching your earnings pile up while you are having fun and doing something that so many people do for free.

If you feel like you need to make more money in order to make it worth your while, myLot does have a referral system that will give you 25% of everything that the people you refer earn so if you manage to get enough people to sign up, and they are active participants, you can actually start earning a non-trivial amount. I have heard that some of the top referrers make up to $700.00 per month but that could just be a rumor so don't set your heart on making your living this way. (referral systems tend to be vulnerable to Pyramid probems) They also have contests every month and while they don't always pay money out to winners, they did pay out $1,000 to the winner of the video contest they had last month.

Probably the biggest money making potential myLot has is it's traffic. Just randomly spamming discussions with product promotions is prohibited but you can put your information on your profile or even sign your blog up on myLot and then if you are actively posting in discussions you can be sure people will be checking out your profile or blog.

MyLot does have some problems but they are most likely related to their huge growth. The last few months they have been growing at the rate of about 10,000 new users every month and growth like that is sure to cause problems. The most annoying problem I've faced is that I haven't been able to log in during peak internet times. I've also noticed that my post count has gone down occasionally (though that could just be because some of my posts have been deleted). I haven't been able to detect a drop in my earning when this happens so that is what makes me think it might just be caused by a strain on the database. These kinds of problems have worried me a bit and I'm hoping that myLot doesn't become a victim of it's own success. So far they have managed to update their systems fast enough to keep things running.

All in all I would rate myLot at 4 out of 5 stars. If this sounds like something you might be interested in then sign up by clicking here. MyLot pays it's members through PayPal but if you don't happen to have an account yet you can still sign up. Just leave the payment information blank, then when you are ready, you can fill it in later.

Just a quick note before you get started...When you first start posting you will not notice any earning accumulating. This is because myLot only calculates your earnings once every 24 hours.

No comments: